One Prudential Plaza


Click an image to view larger version.
Height: Architectural
183.2 m / 601 ft
 
One Prudential Plaza Outline
  Height: To Tip
278 m / 912 ft
Floors Above Ground
41
# of Elevators
30
Tower GFA
163,787 m² / 1,762,989 ft²

Facts

Official Name One Prudential Plaza
Name of Complex Prudential Plaza
Other Names Prudential Building
Structure Type Building
Status Completed
Country United States
City Chicago
Street Address & Map 130 East Randolph Street
Postal Code 60601
Building Function office
Structural Material steel
Construction Start 1952
Completion 1955
Official Website Prudential Plaza
Rankings Click arrows to view the next taller/shorter buildings
Regional Ranking #404 Tallest in North America
City Ranking #52 Tallest in Chicago

Companies Involved

Owner Sterling Bay
Architect
Design Naess & Murphy
Structural Engineer
Design Naess & Murphy
Main Contractor George A. Fuller Co.
Other Consultant
• Artist Iannelli Studio

About One Prudential Plaza

When completed in 1955, One Prudential Plaza became the second tallest building in Chicago and ended a two-decade long hiatus of tall office building construction within the city due to the economic impacts of the Great Depression and World War II. At the time of the project’s conception, the site was a freight yard owned by the Illinois Central Railroad and required the use of air rights to construct the building above the active railroad tracks, a practice which was repeated for the adjacent buildings constructed later as part of the larger Illinois Center complex. While the freight yards have since disappeared, passenger service remains for commuter trains serving the South Side of Chicago, southern suburbs and Northern Indiana, with One Prudential Plaza offering direct access to the Millennium Station located beneath street level.

The façade of the mid-century building has hints of the previously popular Art Deco style, maintaining strong vertical lines of uninterrupted limestone piers separated by bays of recessed windows set into aluminum spandrels. The main entrance is set back from Randolph Street with an entry plaza flanked by two portions of the building’s lower floors that extend outward to the edges of the property. One of these extensions of the building’s lower floorplates features a portion of the façade dedicated to a relief of the Rock of Gibraltar by artist Alfonso Iannelli, representing the logo of the Prudential Company.

Research Papers

World’s Highest Observation Decks
Aug 2015 – CTBUH Journal, 2015 Issue III


To submit more information or donate images for this project, please use our submission portal.